I devoted my days off this weekend to canning, and I processed a total of 11 pints of tomatoes and 7 cups of fig jam. I will probably spend next weekend putting up more fencing and planting my fall peas.
On Tuesday, I made a sad discovery when I went to refill the water tank I set up by my beehive. I noticed that there wasn't any activity around the hive entrance, unusual for a warm sunny day, so I opened the hive to check. All I found were dozens of dead bees. ;_; I speculate the hive was attacked by wild bees or wasps, which then stole all the honey. I had suspected for several weeks that the queen wasn't laying as many eggs as she should be; I guess the hive population dropped to the point that they didn't have the numbers to defend themselves any more. Oh, well, I can try again next year. Hopefully I can get a stronger queen. At least I still have all the equipment ready to go.