I spent most of the morning on Saturday hacking down the weeds in the backyard so it doesn't look like such a jungle. I never managed to get all the strawberries transplanted, and the weather is now too hot to do so (particularly since it hasn't been raining much), which means the rest will have to wait until next year. My replanted cucurbit seeds are beginning to sprout, so if the cage works, I'll be able to transplant them out into the garden in several weeks.
I have a few more spears of asparagus sprouting, and my fruit-bearing plants are starting to go into action. I've begun harvesting a few early blueberries, and my fig and mulberry crops are looking promising. Flowers are appearing on the pomegranate, persimmon, and pie cherry trees. Even the artichoke has a number of nice buds that should be ready to pick soon.
The pea plants are drying down, so I should be able to harvest the dried peas in a couple weeks to use for the fall planting season. Once that bed is clear, it will be time to plant out the beans. I'm going to have to give some serious thought to which selections I can plant out for evaluation.
In the afternoon, I went to a four-hour Indian food cooking lesson. We got to watch the chef prepare everything from scratch, then when everything was done, we sat at a big table and ate together. They gave us containers so we could bring home the leftovers as well as printouts of all the recipes and a bag full of assorted spices. It was a lot of fun, and everything was delicious.
This morning I finally hunkered down and got my taxes filed. For some reason, this year my first name was one letter too long for the state return, which I don't recall happening before. I had to go in and delete a space for the program to accept it. I hope that doesn't cause any problems.