Amparo Bertram (spacealien_vamp) wrote,
Amparo Bertram

Scarily busy week

This week has been the busiest I've had in a long time. I started on the weekend by working in the garden a little and then finishing Benny's Halloween costume.

One of the things I did, in an attempt to get out of the house more, was go to an online site where people can arrange group activities and sign up for some gaming gatherings in the area. Tuesday evening I joined a group called Board Gaming Gals of the Peninsula, which met at a bar/lounge in a nearby city. We played King of Tokyo with the Halloween expansion and then Betrayal at House on the Hill. Neither are games that I would buy personally, but they were a good fit for the holiday. The gathering lasted until late, and by the time I took the bus home, it was around 11pm.

This makes waking up at 4am to get ready for work quite difficult. @_@

Wednesday was our training day, so we took the dogs off site for practice. While there, we had a photo shoot of our dogs in costumes (those of us who had costumes, that is).

I gave out candy for Halloween, though I only got about half as many trick or treaters as the past two years. I only used up one bag of candy, and that's with the stragglers taking entire handfuls. Skittles were the preferred treat this year, and almost no one touched the chocolate bars. (More for me, I guess.)

Friday I went to another game gathering, this time with the San Mateo Indoor Fun Group. I played three games of Dominion with the Guilds expansion. All three were from the recommended sets in the rulebook; every time a randomized game was suggested, the other players all made "ewww" noises. Out of the three games, I didn't win any, but I came in second by 1-2 points in two of them.

Again I got home at nearly 11pm just to collapse into bed to catch a few hours of sleep before work the next day. Imagine how startled I was to be awakened in the middle of the night by a loud, insistent buzzing. At first I thought it was my alarm, but my alarm beeps, it doesn't buzz. Then I thought it might be my fire alarm, but it wasn't nearly obnoxious enough. I finally figured out that it was my radiation detector, which I had forgotten to turn off after coming home from work.

What the heck is radioactive in my BEDROOM?


Does that question sound as bad as I think it does?

Anyway, I was too groggy to do anything more than turn the darn thing off. I suspect it was reacting to a truck or something driving past outside. A lot of commodities are radioactive enough to set off the detector without actually being dangerous, particularly medical supplies. I don't know whether it's sensitive enough to react to a truckload of bananas headed to the nearby grocery store, but that's also a possibility.

I was practically a zombie on Saturday due to sleep deprivation, and it didn't help that I also had a couple hours of overtime. By the time I got home in the afternoon, I was ready to crash. I curled up on the couch at 6pm, slept for two hours, then woke up and decided it wasn't worth the effort to make supper and just went directly to bed instead.

This weekend I've mostly been catching up on sleep and clearing out more shows from my DVR. I did hear from the appliance vendor that they are ordering me a new refrigerator with the door handle on the opposite side, so that's good news. It's supposed to arrive in about another week.
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened