Amparo Bertram (spacealien_vamp) wrote,
Amparo Bertram

Filling time

For the past month, I've been working a lot of overtime. It's hard to get things done around the house and yard with only one day off per week.

Two weeks ago, most of my day off was spent meeting with someone to order custom window treatments. They are seriously expensive, but they should look great once they are installed. I was told they generally take two and a half weeks to construct, so I should be getting them soon.

Last week I had intended to use my day off to work in the yard, but just when I was about to get started, it began pouring rain. I'm sure the plants appreciated it--the weeds certainly did!--but it meant I hardly got anything done. On the bright side, one of my dahlias has finally started blooming.

During the week, I met with a lady who works for a company that makes custom storage units in the hope that she could design some good bookcases for me. Unfortunately, I didn't really like the materials that the bookcases were made of, and they would have been very expensive. I'm considering other options. In the meantime, all of my things are still in boxes, but since I still have three more rooms that need remodeling, I suppose that's for the best.

One of the things I did this week was pick a few chayotes from the neighbor's chayote plant. (Yes, that's all one plant.) They told me that I could harvest whatever was growing on my side of the fence, so I figured I'd give it a try. I made a chayote/potato/onion gratin that turned out quite well. The chayote is even tasty raw, much like a cucumber without all the seeds. It kind of makes me want to plant one in my yard...except I don't really have the space for something that huge.

Today was gray and gloomy and sporadically rainy, but I did manage to get some work done. I planted two roses, two blueberry bushes, and two paw paw trees in the front yard, plus two wisteria and three camellias in the back yard. I hope they all survive; one of the wisteria was pretty dry because I hadn't watered it. I'm hoping that the soaking I gave it when I planted it will be enough to save it. I still have a number of other plants that need to be put in the ground, not to mention I had wanted to start some artichoke seeds, but I guess that will all have to wait until next week, when I will finally have TWO days off.
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened